Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Even More on the Plywood Horns

I needed to make more experiments with the "poor man's" midrange horn driver concept.  I regard the matching plywood horns as a prototype not to be further altered.  They sound quite fine the way they are.  I needed a quick and simple way to fabricate a spare midrange horn to work on and try some new inexpensive drivers with.  Searching online, I came across a technique for building a horn using a combination of plywood or MDF panels and foam core panels available in almost any art supply store.  Here is a photo showing the horn glue setting:


Foam Core Midrange Horn I
Foam Core Midrange Horn I
Here is another photo showing the pine mold inside the foam core construction.  It requires many elastic bands to hold the glue joints.  Particularly on the narrow sides with the sharpest curve, it really helps to carefully score the foam core parts so they will bend easily into the shape you are trying to make.
 
Foam Core Midrange Horn II
Foam Core Midrange Horn II
I already had some 3/16 inch black foam core.  I will post more pictures of this later after it comes off the mold...

No comments:

Post a Comment