Thursday, March 5, 2015

My First Record Player, New Back Chamber, and Electric Bass Practice Setup

My first record player was made possible by equipment given to me by a kind uncle in about 1957 or 1958.  I found myself in possession of a Thordarson amplifier and a Garrard record changer.  I have been searching the internet for quite a while for an image of one of these.  In the last couple of days, one turned up.  Here is what my 6V6 push-pull amplifier looked like although the one in this picture appears to be a slightly different model than the one I had.


Thordarson Amplifier with 6V6 Push-Pull Output and Walnut Cabinet
Thordarson Amplifier with 6V6 Push-Pull Output and Walnut Cabinet

There are small incandescent lamps in each of the chrome or nickel plated globes at the top.  I connected a 4 x 6 speaker removed from a radio to the speaker output terminals.  The Garrard record changer pickup wires I connected to the phono input terminals.  This setup sounded really great and my favorite record to play on it was Beethoven's Fifth Symphony.

Here is an advertisement for the Thordarson walnut amplifier series in Thordarson catalog 400C.

Thordarson Catalog 400C Advertisement for Amplifier with Walnut Cabinet
Thordarson Catalog 400C Advertisement for Amplifier with Walnut Cabinet
As far as I can tell, the amplifier pictured in this advertisement is the model I had.  I have not yet been able to find one of these to "recreate" my original sound system.  I do have a Garrard record changer almost exactly like the one I had then.  It is part of a Viking floor console record player which is itself a very fine system.  I will post more on that later.

On the current project, the Sound Transformer, I just recently constructed a back chamber of the same volume as the volume that seemed to work best in the Hornresp simulator.  This optimal back chamber volume seems to have removed the last of the slight "boom" in the bass horn.  I set up a Fender Bronco 40 bass amplifier by connecting the headphone jack to the Lepai 2020A input.  The Bronco 40 Aux input, used for backing tracks from an iPod for example, combines left and right stereo channels into a single monaural signal.  I then plugged a Fender Precision bass with '62 Re-Issue pickup into the instrument input and played along with the iPod for an hour or so.  I believe this may be the ultimate "practice" setup.  You are fully immersed in the sound of the bass and the "backing tracks" sound very realistic.  More on this later.

No comments:

Post a Comment