Monday, March 16, 2015

The Story on the Background Image - The EL84

People might be wondering where the EL84 electron tube image came from.  Years ago, I had a Dynaco SCA-35 and an HH Scott 299B Integrated Tube Stereo Amplifier. Each of these had four electron tubes similar to the EL84 in the output stages.  Here is a picture of the Scott 299B with the tubes on.


H H Scott 299B Integrated Amplifier With Tubes Lit
H H Scott 299B Integrated Amplifier With Tubes Lit

Here is the Dynaco SCA-35.  It looks as if I had it playing mp3 files recorded to a CD spinning on the player in the foreground.


Dynaco SCA-35 Integrated Amplifier
Dynaco SCA-35 Integrated Amplifier


These amplifiers sounded so good, that I went to great lengths to "memorialize" that electron tube by building a three-dimensional model in TrueSpace4.  This was quite a project because I did not have any training and had to learn this program on my own.  At any rate, I built the model of the tube within this program and saved several "output" images of it.  Years later, I got the original version of TrueSpace4 to work on a vintage XP desktop given to me by a good friend and managed to find the original working files I used to develop the model that I had saved on a backup disk.  I was able to input the model and adjust rotation and perspective and lighting to get higher resolution output images.  More on that later.

The image from which the background on this web page is generated is a copy of one of the original images I had saved of the tube model from several years ago.  It would be interesting to make a scene in TrueSpace4 of a complete classic tube amplifier in operation with all filaments glowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment