Thursday, October 15, 2015

New Folded Bass Horn - Progress On The Second One

A few days ago, I purchased two 4' x 8' sheets of ULB grade 1/2 inch plywood and began to cut out the panels for a second folded bass horn to match the first one.  I selected one of the ULB plywood sheets and set up the straight edge for a rip cut.


Clamping Straight Edge For First Rip Cut
Clamping Straight Edge For First Rip Cut
With the straight edge clamped in place, I made one straight cut for a strip of plywood from which to make several panels of the same width.
After The First Rip Cut
After The First Rip Cut
 The second rip cut from the remainder of the plywood sheet will not extend for the whole length of the sheet, so I stop cutting when I have enough length.

Second Rip Cut Completed
Second Rip Cut Completed
I set a four-foot straight edge at a right angle to the rip cut in order to guide the saw while I remove a strip of the correct length.


Third Cut At A Right Angle To The Rip Cuts
Third Cut At A Right Angle To The Rip Cuts
Because the circular saw leaves a curved cut, I complete the cuts with a scroll saw with a reciprocating blade.
Completing The Cuts With Scroll Saw
Completing The Cuts With Scroll Saw
There is enough plywood in the remainder of the sheet to begin to cut out some of the smallest panels for the throat region of the horn.  Using the square as a straight edge, I prepare for the first cut for the side of one of these trapezoidal panels.


Beginning To Cut The Smallest Trapezoidal Panels
Beginning To Cut The Smallest Trapezoidal Panels
 Here is the second cut completed for the first trapezoid.

First Trapezoid With Both Sides Cut
First Trapezoid With Both Sides Cut
 I saved panel material by "reusing" the side cut for the adjacent trapezoid and made a third cut completing the sides for a matching pair of small trapezoids.

Sides Cut A Matching Pair Of Small Trapezoids
Sides Cut A Matching Pair Of Small Trapezoids
As you can see in the above photo, it started to rain so I had to stop working and move everything inside out of the weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment