Thursday, January 28, 2016

The 1965 New York World's Fair - DuPont "Wonderful World Of Chemistry" Show

One of my inspirations growing up was experiencing the New York World's Fair in 1965.  The one show I remember most is the DuPont "Wonderful World Of Chemistry".  It was at this performance that I first heard a really high-quality and high-power music amplification system.  Up until that time, movie theater sound was about the best I had heard.  When the music started playing, featuring brass instruments and heavy percussion and bass, at first I thought there must be a jazz orchestra somewhere "behind the scenes".   However, there was also a chorus and spoken dialogue and the sound seemed to be coming from different directions from one moment to the next.  So I knew it had to be a recording playing back through a really powerful and "live sounding" multi-channel sound system.  Fortunately, a recording of this event can be found at archive.org.

Up until this experience, I had for a long time been interested in listening to recorded sound but I never realized that recorded sound could sound as real as this.

There is more information including links to tape recordings of the event made by Ray Dashner and Bradd Schiffman.



No comments:

Post a Comment