Sunday, March 6, 2016

The New Folded Corner Bass Horns Get New Tops

I made more permanent back chambers for each of the New Folded Corner Bass horns using some plywood scraps a had here.  You can see one of the new back chambers in the photo below.  The old back chambers were 34 liters.  The new ones are about 50 liters.

I was planning to buy a sheet of 3/4" mahogany plywood and cut it in two to make two covers for the New Folded Corner Bass Horns.  The idea is to eventually make the horns into a pair of attractive furniture pieces.  Well, I already had some southern pine tongue-and-groove flooring left over from a flooring project so I decided to take the chop saw outside and cut some of these ten foot flooring boards into pieces that would fit together to make the tops.  Here are the pieces I cut for one of the horns.


New Folded Corner Bass Horns - Southern Pine Tops
New Folded Corner Bass Horns - Southern Pine Tops
Even though the tops are not completely constructed yet, I decided to take the old 1/4 inch plywood top off so I could try out the tongue-and-groove flooring boards.  Here are the first two boards in place.


New Folded Corner Bass Horns - New Southern Pine Tops
New Folded Corner Bass Horns - New Southern Pine Tops
I added two at a time until they were all assembled.


New Folded Corner Bass Horns - New Southern Pine Tops
New Folded Corner Bass Horns - New Southern Pine Tops


New Folded Corner Bass Horns - New Southern Pine Tops
New Folded Corner Bass Horns - New Southern Pine Tops


New Folded Corner Bass Horns - New Southern Pine Tops
New Folded Corner Bass Horns - New Southern Pine Tops

New Folded Corner Bass Horns - New Southern Pine Tops
New Folded Corner Bass Horns - New Southern Pine Tops
The bass output from the horn is much stronger with this cover even temporarily installed like this.  That is a Klipsch Shorthorn on top in the next photo.


New Folded Corner Bass Horns - New Southern Pine Tops
New Folded Corner Bass Horns - New Southern Pine Tops
After I get new armature brushes for my table saw, I will complete the Southern Pine Tops for both New Folded Corner Bass Horns.





No comments:

Post a Comment