Friday, October 14, 2022

A Monaural System: Garrard RC 88 Turntable, Viking 6V6 Amplifier, Homemade Horn Speaker

Finally, I have put together a monaural system based on one given to me by an uncle over sixty years ago. The original one I had back then consisted of a Garrard RC 88 turntable with wood base and a Thordarson 6V6 amplifier in a wooden case with a hinged glass window that opened for access to the controls. The only speaker I had back then was a 4" x 6" radio speaker without any baffle. I have not been able to locate another amplifier like the Thordarson. I did manage to find a Garrard RC 88 and an audio amplifier with 6V6 output tubes.  I listen to this setup through a straight horn I made myself.

Here is the turntable:

Garrard RC 88 Record Changer
Garrard RC 88 Record Changer

Here is the amplifier out of the case:

Viking 6V6 Amplifier
Viking 6V6 Amplifier

Here is the nearly completed refitted case for the turntable and amplifier in front of the horn speaker:

Monaural Setup
Monaural Setup

And here is the system playing part of a track from an old 78RPM record:






No comments:

Post a Comment